"Blood and body fluids on bed and curtain inA&E"

About: Wishaw General Hospital / Emergency department

(as a service user),

Was in Wishaw General A&E last night. Bed had blood and body fluids on several areas of bed. Also blood on curtain.

Response from Susan Brimelow, Chief Inspector, Healthcare Environment Inspectorate, Healthcare Improvement Scotland

Thank you for posting your message on Patient Opinion which I have read and noted. Ensuring your hospital is clean and good infection control and hygiene practices are in place are important for patients and the public and I take all concerns seriously.

Update posted by CICI3 (a service user)

I have several photos that I am willing to send to you just so you can see this for yourself.

Response from Gillian Corbett, Chief of Nursing Services, Wishaw General Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear CICI3,

Thank you for getting in touch. I’m very disappointed to hear that the cleanliness of the Emergency Department was below the standard I would expect.

Whilst you’ll be aware that the Emergency Department can be a busy place, we take cleanliness and the prevention of infection very seriously. We have clear guidelines for all our staff on how to deal with and clean up blood and body fluid spillages on equipment, furnishings and surfaces.

I have asked my senior infection control nurse to go and visit the A&E Department now and I’ll speak with the staff who were on duty last night.

In the meantime it would be really helpful if you could get in touch so that I can investigate this matter further.

You can contact me on 01698 366002

Kind Regards,

Gillian

Response from Rosemary Lyness, Executive Clinical Director, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear CICI3,

Like Gillian I was very dismayed to hear of your experience within Wishaw A&E department. As a Health Board we are very committed to ensuring that all of our Hospitals are clean and safe.

I would like to apologise for this failing, and assure you that we have taken your comments very seriously. My Head of Infection Control for Lanarkshire has today visited the department and has discussed the issues that you identified with the staff.

She has also met with the Chief Nurse - Gillian Corbett and Hakim Ben Younes the Chief Doctor and will be supporting the A&E department to achieve and sustain the standards of cleanliness that we would expect.

I do hope that you feel able to contact Gillian directly, as requested.