"It is aggravating that I need to travel long distances to get my condition treated"

About: Lincoln County Hospital / Ophthalmology Royal Hallamshire Hospital / Ophthalmology

Last week I had an appointment at the Eye Clinic at the Hallamshire Hospital in Sheffield. Unfortunately I was unable to attend as I was admitted to hospital in Lincoln, and the Lincoln County Hospital let them know I would not be able to make the appointment.

I find it aggravating that I need to travel 75 miles to get my eye condition treated, it’s such a long way to go. I spoke to someone at the clinic the week before the appointment, she said there were two other centres who would be able to treat me: Liverpool and London. Lincolnshire is such a wilderness there must be other people who find the travelling to distant hospitals equally aggravating.

Response from Deborah Hopkinson, Patient Experience Co-ordinator, Sheffield Teaching Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

Dear Sir or Madam

I am sorry to learn that services are not provided closer to your own home and that you have a long distance to travel in order to obtain care at Sheffield.

I note that you have had to cancel your appointment at the Royal Hallamshire Hospital but I trust that when you are able to attend you will be pleased with our services.

Kind regards.

• Mondeaux thinks this response is helpful