"No continuity"

About: Lerwick Health Centre

I had a consultation with a doctor at this practice last week. During that consultation I was diagnosed, given a prescription for a powerful drug, the promise of further hospital treatment and an undertaking to discuss my case with Consultant.

All good stuff. However as the prescription drugs run out on the 6 Feb, I telephoned the surgery to have a further appointment when I was advised that the doctor was not available for an appointment for 6 weeks.

6 weeks! ! ! How can this practice give their patients professional care when you cant see your doctor for 6 weeks? No doubt if I go to their Drop In facility and wait two hours I'll get to see another doctor who's only information that he/she has is what is written in my notes. Will my hospital appointment be organised, will my consultant be brought up to date, will I continue with my medication. Who knows but my betting is a lot will not be done as there is seems that there no continuity at this practice.

Response from Carolyn Hand, Corporate Services Manager/Complaints Officer, Chief Executive's Department, NHS Shetland

My name is Lisa Watt and I am the Service Manager for Primary Care

Thank you for providing feedback on your recent experience. I am sorry you have had difficulty getting an appointment with the clinician of your choice and if you would like to contact me with your details, I will look into this further for you.

My email address is e.watt1@nhs.net.