"Good colonoscopy care but reception could be better"

About: Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital / General surgery

I had a routine colonoscopy at the Norfolk and Norwich hospital.

The reception staff I met were underwhelming it has to be said, front of house, first contact so an acknowledgement you're standing there helps. A smile goes a long way (though my husband says whilst he was waiting a man came in who forced them to participate due to his forcefully cheerful manner... which proves they could! I'll try next time! ). "Check your details" whilst thrusting my notes under my nose wasn't the best welcome.

But once you're in I couldn't fault the staff, they did an excellent job. I was treated with dignity and respect, excellent consent gained in a private room then off to the real thing!

The nurses were all excellent, calm and friendly. Mr. James Hernon carried out the procedure, I was offered sedation, and given the pro's and con's. Decided against!

Mr. Hernon was excellent in his manner and happy to explain during the procedure what was going on. He checked I was OK throughout, all over and done with very swiftly what more could I ask for? Then returned to recovery everyone checked I was fine and I was allowed out.

Just to say thank you for making what has the potential to be a horrendous experience something that was dignified and easy to get through. Much appreciated.

We are pleased to know that the clinical team took good care of you and made the experience easier than you had expected. Your comments about the reception team will be passed to the Matron.

Response from Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital

Thank you for telling us about your experience in the gastroenterology unit. Your feedback will be passed to the Matron.