"Wasted unecessary journey appointment ENT"

About: Hairmyres Hospital / Ear, Nose & Throat Wishaw General Hospital / Ear, Nose & Throat

Waited months to get ENT appointment after Doctors referral, and sat hearing test in local ENT Hairmyres to get consultant appointment in Wishaw. Took months to get those referral too!

Get in to see consultant who asked two questions, then told that I'm to be referred to tinnitus specialist. What a waste of time! Consultation took 1 minute! Waste of my time and resources!

I've witnessed this before, had to take mum to remote ENT Stonelaw waited an hour to be seen, to be told to take Local Doctors recommendation. This seems the norm passing from pillar to post rather than actually doing anything.

Nhs should ask for feedback on appointments as a matter of course, to stop this waste of people's time and their own resources.

Response from Graeme McGibbon, Service Manager for Surgical Services, Monklands Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire We are preparing to make a change

Dear AngryEK

I was sorry to hear of the delays you experienced in accessing ENT services and your disappointment with the outcome of you appointment. I am aware of the current delays within ENT and in order improve on this a further ENT Consultant has been recruited and will start working with us in April 2015. The ENT Department has also increased the number of clinics running on a weekly basis.

As you pointed out it is important to get you to the correct specialist first time. To address this work is underway with the Audiology department (who carried out your hearing test) to link appointments for hearing tests and ENT consultations. This includes having both appointments on the same day, which is already in place for urgent conditions. In addition, a number nurse led and audiology led clinics have been established, which should also help provide specialist advice and treatment quickly.

I apologise for the issues you experienced. I will discuss the points you raised with the ENT department, particularly in connection with the outcome of your appointment, to determine any additional measures that can be taken to improve on this.

Response from Graeme McGibbon, Service Manager for Surgical Services, Monklands Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire We have made a change

Dear AngryEK,

I am pleased to let you know that our new ENT consultant has now taken up her post and we now plan to recruit a further ENT consultant in August 2015.

The Audiology department continue to work with us on service improvements and part of the service redesign has now been implemented.