"My ongoing experience of Oncology at QA"

About: Queen Alexandra Hospital / Clinical oncology

People who get lung cancer have a major operation to cope with and also a long period of chemotherapy. I had my lung op at another hospital, and I am now in chemo at QA.

I see that another patient (let's call him Mr Nasty) has made aggressive comments about his treatment at QA. His experience is very different from mine. I am delighted by the high professional standards, friendliness and tolerance shown by staff who are often under great pressure, and must constantly make difficult decisions about priorities.

We are very fortunate to have such a modern and well-equipped hospital, with such committed staff - it is vastly better than the hospital in which my op was done. The work overload, don't forget, is mostly our fault, as mine was: I smoked for thirty years. The NHS has saved my life at no cost to me - and I can't afford to go private.

Mr Nasty may have done something stupid too, but our medics will try to save all of us however stupid or nasty we are.

Response from Leanne Mincher, Complaints Assistant , Complaints Department, Portsmouth Hospitals NHS Trust

Thank you so much for taking the time to write in to us with such positive feedback. We are overwhelmed with how well your experience at Queen Alexandra Hospital was. Please be assured that we will of course pass your kind comments on to the relevant staff for their information. We are sure that they will be just as pleased to read this as we were.

Many Thanks

Leanne - Complaints Officer

Response from Queen Alexandra Hospital

Thank you so much for taking the time to write to us during your chemotherapy. I fully appreciate that this is often an extremely difficult and challenging time so am pleased that through all this, you have taken the time to share your feedback with us and are satisfied with the care and treatment you are currently being provided. I would like to assure you that I will of course pass your kind comments on to the appropriate staff, but if you would like to thank anyone in particular then please do not hesitate to write to us at: PHT.Pals@porthosp.nhs.uk and we would be more than happy to pass this on for you. With very best wishes Leanne Complaint