"More thyroid testing"

About: Western Infirmary/Gartnavel General / General Medicine

Doctors only test tsh. They don't care about symptoms.

I feel they should have more thyroid testing, not just tsh.

I’m sorry the thyroid testing you have received hasn’t been what you would like.

I have discussed this with one of our doctors.

GG&C use a range of thyroid tests, not just TSH (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone). This can also include measurements of other aspects of thyroid gland function such as 'T4' and 'T3'.

However, thyroid testing is a complex area, and I would encourage you to discuss this with your clinician (presumably a thyroid specialist) again. It is not something I can comment on specifically, for individual patients, in a public forum like this.

Some information on GG&C testing for thyroid disease is publicly available on the internet at:

http://library.nhsggc.org.uk/mediaAssets/Biochemistry/Biochemistry%20GP%20Handbook%20(Rev3,%20Jul%202014).pdf with page 10 providing details of thyroid testing.

I hope this is of use in future discussions with your GG&C doctors.

However if you remain dissatisfied after your next clinic visit you have the right to a second opinion, but I hope this information helps us resolve this issue with you and improves your symptoms without needing this.

Dr Ian Reeves,