"Paperwork not being sent to department"

About: Grantham & District Hospital / Vascular surgery

I recently had a TIA and was treated with care by medical staff. I was told that I would hear within the next couple of days from a Stroke Clinic for further investigation, when I did not hear I phoned them, they had not heard of me. I phoned A&E department where it was first diagnosed only to be told that they had forgotten to send the paperwork to the Stroke Clinic.

I then spent the rest of that day chasing the paperwork. I was finally contacted at 4. 45pm that day to say that my appointment would now not be at the Stroke Clinic but back at the original hospital.

At first had nothing but praise for the A&E department but have since changed my opinion, I know they are extremely busy but I think they should complete paperwork before moving on to next patient, or at least finish paperwork at the end of their shift.

Response from United Lincolnshire Hospitals NHS Trust

Dear Princess Ellie

Please accept my apology. I was made aware of this issue as soon as you had rung and both myself and the consultant tried to rectify as soon as possible. Unfortunately the mistake made was down to human error. The doctor concerned put the referral inside the card and it was filed.

I am unsure as yet how to ensure this does not happen again I am discussing with all staff in the link and hope to come up with a solution soon.

Teresa Shepherd