"Appointments running late"

About: University College Hospital / Gastroenterology

My appointment at the UCLH gastroenterology department was at 12.30pm. I was told the clinic started at 12.30pm but also that it was running 55 minutes late. How can this be?

I was also told five people were booked for the same slot. I made special arrangements with others to be away three hours, plenty of time I thought but at 1.45pm I still was waiting and many others in the waiting room seemed to have the same problem.

Why was the clinic running 55 minutes late if it only started at 12.30pm?

Response from Chris Dann, Assistant General Manager Gastrointestinal Services Division, Gastroenterology Department, UCH

I am very sorry to hear of the delay you experienced, whilst waiting for your Outpatient appointment.

Unfortunately, it is difficult to identify the exact cause for the delay, without knowing the clinic you attended and the date.

It is possible that either the morning clinic over ran, which would have a knock on effect on the afternoon clinic, or there were multiple "over bookings" made at the start of the clinic, causing a delay.

We are currently working closely with the Outpatient Department to review templates on clinics and laying down tighter guidelines for staff making over bookings; in particular, ensuring that over bookings have only been made with authorisation from a senior clinician and that where necessary, they are spaced out through the clinic.

We hope that these steps will help to reduce delays within our clinics.