"A great relief to know my aunt was in safe hands"

About: Western General Hospital / Gastroenterology

My aunt recently spent 2 weeks on ward 53 at the Western General Hospital, Edinburgh. Although the ward was very busy, the care she received was excellent from the nursing and medical staff.

I would like to thank the nursing staff in particular who showed her great kindness throughout her stay and made sure she was comfortable and looked after in a manner that meant her dignity was maintained throughout. It was a great relief to know that she was in good hands and that she was receiving all the assistance she needed. I was particularly glad to hear that the food provided was good, although she felt that breakfast lacked protein in the form of eggs. Overall this was minor issue.

I would also like to compliment the hospital on its discharge arrangements, which were efficient and thoughtful. My aunt had all her medicines from the pharmacy in good time and had been provided with assistance in packing her things. A nurse also got her a chair to get her down to the car park, which was very thoughtful.

Response from Customer Relations and Feedback Team, NHS Lothian

Dear Steviant

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your comments as patient feedback is vital to us. I will email your comments to the Chief Nurse at the Western General Hospital who will pass them on to the staff in ward 53 and I am sure they will really appreciate your kind comments.

I hope your aunt is now making a good recovery.

• steviant thinks this response is helpful