"I had parathyroid surgery"

About: Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital / General surgery

My GP referred me and I was seen quickly. Everyone was most efficient. The only issue was that I was called for a scan that I had already had so maybe communications could be a little better. In fact the scan appt came after I had the surgery, it's as though certain clinics don't have access to the full records.

However I have only praise for the way all of my appts were handled, I was treated with utmost care and respect. The day of surgery involved a long wait but that can't be helped. The team in the protesting room were marvellous and I particularly liked the way the anaesthetist asked me what was being done! This was obviously to clarify my understanding but it was done so cleverly.

Again I have nothing but praise for all the staff involved during my short stay.

I want to add that a year on my memory is still improving so this gives hope to others who suffered memory loss as bad as me!

Thank you for telling us about your experience in hospital. We are pleased to hear that the surgery team were marvellous and treated you with care.

• Ditsy thinks this response is helpful

Update posted by Ditsy (the patient)

I am very aware that it is so easy to complain when we are disappointed but when excellent service is delivered we marvel at the time and may tell family and friends but don't go out of our way to treat a satisfactory outcome the way we would deal with a complaint! I did complete a questionnaire on my discharge from hospital so it would have been captured then. My reason for following up a year later was purely for Mr Pain. My memory was pretty poor before the surgery and I was inclined to hang on every word Mr Pain said hoping that it would improve. We are like that, we want to be told it will be better! So as I am improving I felt it was a good idea to tell him so he has evidence that although it may take a while it does slowly get better.

Response from Norfolk & Norwich University Hospital

We are pleased that your surgery went well even though the communication could be improved. Thank you for telling us about your care.