"No Appointments"

About: NHS Grampian

I find it unbelievable and totally unacceptable that you cannot book an appointment at Forres health centre for two weeks. This is not an isolated incident! This happens on a regular basis. In all other parts of the UK you cannot book an appointment with the gp in advance. Why should you visit the gp and sit around for hours to see a doctor when your problem is not serious enough to go to a&e. Surely appointments are wasted on this system. For example I have tonsillitis, I book an appointment for over 3 weeks time. In that time I suffer without medication but my condition has got better alone. I'm not 100% I no longer need that appointment.

Unacceptable! ! !

I understand the nurse and consultants been booked but not the gp.

I really hope this is changed and would love to hear your defence on this matter.

Thanks for reading

Your extremely disappointed, sick and upset patient

Response from Linda Oldroyd, Nurse Consultant Patient Safety and Experience, NHS Grampian

Dear Sir

NHS Grampian is sorry to hear about the difficulties you have had booking an appointment with your GP. You are correct that ailments such as that which you describe should not be treated in Accident and Emergency departments. Three weeks does seem a long time to wait for a GP appointment.

In some situations you might be able to get the care and treatment you require from other sources. Information about this can be found in our "Know who to turn to" booklet and website. These can be accessed by linking to

We hope you find this information useful but in the meantime we will ask the Practice Manager from Forres to provide a response to your concern.

We hope you are feeling better.

Kindest regards,

Response from Craig White, Divisional Clinical Lead, Directorate of Health Quality and Strategy, Scottish Government

Hello Linda,

I was wondering if the Practice Manager had provided a response to the concern, as I notice this gentleman has had the same experience https://www.patientopinion.org.uk/opinions?author=sick%20guy

Best wishes

Craig White

Professor Craig A White

Divisional Clinical Lead, Scottish Government

Hello Craig

I have not, yet, received a response from the Practice Manager.

Regards

Response from NHS Grampian

Dear Patient

The practice has provided this reponse to your concern. please do not hesitate to get back in touch if you remain dissatisfied.

Linda Oldroyd

Response from practice:

I’m sorry that you are experiencing difficulties with booking an appointment.

Both practices release a selection of routine appointments each day for the following day and up to 10 days. We have been experiencing some issues with the availability of routine appointments due to the short term absence of GPs. This issue is now resolving but may have been why you had to wait for an appointment.

You do not mention if you were directed to our Unscheduled Care Service. This service is available if you feel you need to be seen. Most patients are seen in this area after a short wait.

Please contact us at the practice if you feel we haven’t fully answered your complaint.