"I got the impression that I was just being fobbed off"

About: Monklands District General Hospital / Emergency department

After undergoing surgery having an improvised Karydakis Flap to remove a Pilonidal Sinus, I was not recovering as well as I had hoped and I had noticed blood and discharge coming from my wound. I contacted my GP Surgery and attended where they took a swab of my wound but unfortunately my test results were not returned before they closed for the holidays. I felt I was getting worse so I presented at Monklands A&E department. It was surprisingly quiet in the department and I was seen by the triage nurse immediately. I was then put in a cubical and a doctor came in to speak with me. When I was explaining to her that I had now developed another lump as well as the discharge and feeling unwell she took a quick look at my wound and then left the room. On her return the doctor told me that my lump was just "superficial" and was just likely a "pimple" and handed me a box of fluxicillan and told me I was free to go. No swab test, no blood test, just a quick look was enough for her. I got the impression she felt I wasting her time and I was just being fobbed off with the antibiotics. My GP Surgery contacted me when they reopened and received my test results and informed me that I have an infection and that the fluxicillan I was given would not be strong enough to treat it. I have spent the past six days feeling ill, in a lot of pain and letting the infection spread further all because a doctor thought she was able to diagnose a specific infection by simply looking, no testing. My so called "pimple" is also not a pimple but the infection gathering and causing another abscess. I understand that A&E staff are under a lot of pressure especially with time but, when did dismissing patients with a wrong diagnosis become the answer?

Response from Melanie MacLean, Patient Affairs Manager, Patient Affairs, NHS Lanarkshire

Thank you for taking the time to post your Patient Opinion. I was concerned to hear of your experience within Monklands Emergency Department.

Learning from patient experience is very important to us and I would be grateful for the opportunity to investigate this further on your behalf. If you would be happy for me to do this please contact myself on 01236 713065.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Melanie

Response from Ruth Thompson, Chief of Nursing Services, Monklands Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear Lauma87

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience of Monklands Hospital and I'm very sorry that it was not a more positive experience.

As Melanie has stated above it is important we learn from patient experience in order to improve our services. It would be most helpful if you could contact Melanie giving her more details of your visit to the Emergency Department.

The Chief Doctor is currently on leave and I will ensure your experience is highlighted to him on his return.

I hope you are now feeling better and recovering from your surgery.

Ruth