"Orthodontics Out patient booking system"

About: Raigmore Hospital / Oral Surgery & Medicine

(as a parent/guardian),

My son saw the orthodontist and we were informed that a return appointment would be sent out in approximately 8 weeks. 3 months later I tried calling the outpatient booking system however the line rang out and after 15 min I was cut off. This was 15 min of my 30 min lunch break. I work full time this is the only opportunity for me to made this call. I tried on subsequent lunch breaks with the same outcome. This is an appalling service. My son still does not have an appointment and there seems no way to make an appointment

Response from Patient Advice and Support Service

Dear E R T,

I have noticed that you have not had a response to your post. I am sorry to read about the experiences you have had when trying to arrange a second appointment for your son. I wanted to offer some information to you if you would like some help in raising these issues with the NHS. The Patient Advice and Support Service (PASS) is an independent service providing free and confidential information, advice and support to anyone who wants to give feedback to the NHS.

You can access this service from any citizens advice bureau in Scotland by going to a bureau in person, or by telephone. The number is in the phone book. You can find more information about the service at www.patientadvicescotland.org.uk

When you contact your citizens advice bureau, you will see a generalist adviser who will refer you to a specialist adviser if necessary. You can get information and advice on giving feedback to the NHS including the rights and responsibilities of both the NHS and patients.

The adviser will be able to meet you and explain the NHS complaints process, and help you to draft a written letter to provide feedback to the NHS. The adviser can also explain the NHS complaints procedure and support you if you are asked to attend a meeting with the NHS to discuss your feedback.

Best wishes,