"My feet were not measured"

About: Ayr Hospital / Podiatry

Shoes too small resulting in wasted public money and me losing two toenails trying to be helpful and persevere despite telling them the shoes were too small.

My feet were not measured when I was standing, which is when the arches flatten and the foot lengthens.

Dear Fuzzydog,

How distressing for you, I am so sorry you were given the wrong size of shoes and have now lost 2 toenails. I am not sure if is policy to measure feet while standing but it certainly seems logical for people with your situation.

I will bring this to the attention of the appropriate team for their consideration. Do you have the correct size of shoes now? If not, please contact me and I will see if we can get that resolved for you. (email -eunice.goodwin@aapct.scot.nhs.uk or phone - 01563 826222.. Thank you for sharing this with us, by doing so, hopefully we can prevent this happening again.

Best wishes

Eunice

• Fuzzydog thinks this response is helpful

Response from NHS Ayrshire and Arran We are preparing to make a change

Dear Fuzzydog,

Firstly, I am concerned about the problems the shoes have caused and I am very grateful you have brought this to our attention. It has not previously been our policy to measure feet standing up as it is generally taken into account by during the manufacturing process. I am not aware if this has caused any problem in the past. Thanks to your post, I will have a look back to see if there are other people who have experienced this and this should inform us if need to change our practice.

Secondly, I would have hoped that you would have been back for a review and this should have been resolved at that time. Have you been back for a follow-up and is everything ok now?

I will highlight this to the team but I would be happy to review your specific case if you wish to contact Eunice Goodwin on 01563 826222 or eunice.goodwin@aapct.scot.nhs.uk and give her your details so we can look into this further for you.

Kind regards,