"Lack of understanding and food"

About: Hairmyres Hospital / Emergency department Hairmyres Hospital / Trauma & orthopaedics

Our story concerns 2 separate incidents.

1. My husband arrived at A & E and when seen by Doctor I was left feeling totally humiliated. My husband has a degree of learning difficulties and I have developed a habit of trying to speak for him. I realise he needs to speak for himself but he gets things wrong eg. elevator instead of escalator and warfarin instead of morphine.

When I tried to correct what he was saying the doctor threatened to put me outside if I didn't stop talking. The doctor may have been joking but looked serious and had no knowledge of my husbands difficulties.

2. Christmas Day meal at 5 o'clock consisted of cold meat, cold quiche, potato salad and a bread roll. Boxing day evening meal - due to shortage of kitchen staff no meal. Nursing staff tried to heat food trolley but couldn't get trolley up to temperature, so patients were offered a sandwich and a packet of crisps. Nursing staff were so apologetic.

Response from David Hume, Director of Hospital Services, Hairmyres Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear Cowboy,

I am very sorry to hear of your experience from your husbands admission at A&E to the problems with the food preparation service on Boxing day. We endevour to treat all patients and family with a person centred ethos and have failed to show you compassionate care on this occassion. Please be assured that we take all concerns seriously and as such I would like to investigate your experience further.

With regards to the food service, there was an issue with the food service that night which was unheard of before. The kitchen staff and chefs provided soup and sandwiches at short notice and as a result of the issue being escalated to senior staff, a contingency has been put in place by the food services manager to avoid this type of incident occuring again.

Regarding your experience in A&E, I would be grateful if you could contact Senior Nurse Macintyre via switchboard on 01355585000 as she would like to investigate your personal experience however will need more details regarding your husband in order to follow this up.

We look forward to hearing from you in due course and wish both you and your family well for the New Year.

Kind Regards

Dear Cowboy,

Thank you for getting in touch and explaining your concerns directly to Senior Nurse Macintyre who has met with staff regarding attitudes and compassionate behaviour. Some discussions will be followed up regarding your experience through your husbands journey at Hairmyres.

I hope the communication you had with Senior Nurse Macintyre was of benefit and provided assurance of the importance we place on providing care and compassion here at Hairmyres Hospital.

• cowboy thinks this response is helpful