"Left a little concerned to make an appointment in time"

About: South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust / Patient transport service (PTS)

I had an appointment booked for the transport service, but my pick up time was changed. I contacted them but they couldn’t pick me up until 12, and my appointment was at 1pm. This left me concerned I wouldn’t make the appointment in time.

Dear Ebb338

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. I am sorry to hear you were left feeling concerned. It is unclear from your post whether you made it to your appointment on time, I sincerely hope that you did.

South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trusts Patient Transport Service is a predominately pre-planned service; we work to a schedule that has been planned out the previous day. This is to ensure that we utilise our transport as efficiently as possible and that everyone gets a vehicle that is suitable for their health care needs and their mobility at the required time. This transport is often shared with more than one patient so we can made the best use of our resources, so they will be times when the journeys are not as straight forward as you might expect. We may be able to collect our patients straight away, however, there will be occasions when transport might be delayed slightly due to a number of reasons, for example earlier clinics overrunning, traffic congestion or vehicle breakdowns.

Please be assured that when you travel with our service, our staff will always do their very best to get to you as quickly and as safely as possible.

We really appreciate all feedback from our patients, as your experiences help to inform service improvement. If you would like us to investigate what may have gone wrong on this occasion, please do not hesitate to contact our Patient Experience department on 01392 261585 or email patientexperience@swast.nhs.uk where the team will be more than happy to assist you.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience.