"Occupation therapy and the help I have received"

About: Wishaw General Hospital / Trauma & orthopaedics

I have suffered back pain for many years and have had decompression surgery a few years ago. As well as ongoing back pain, during the last year I have been diagnosed with osteoarthritis and many of my other joints have been affected. The last six months have been difficult for me due to deterioration of the affected joints, limited movement within them and the accompanying pain. I have been referred to physiotherapy, podiatry and occupational therapy to help manage my condition. I have to mention my O. T. therapist, Fiona Pollock who has given me excellent support way above the call of duty. She is never too busy to talk over my problems or worries as well as supporting me with the physical appliances to aid my condition. I want to remain in work and she has given me extra help, time, support, encouragement and assistance to enable me to do so. This has made such a difference to me in what has been a very distressing year.

Response from Gillian Corbett, Chief of Nursing Services, Wishaw General Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear Josephine,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your experience. Fiona will be delighted to know she has played such an important part in your recovery. I am glad you have been able to remain in work and that your distress is easing.

I will share your post with the therapy team and Fiona directly.

I hope you continue to make progress towards recovery.

Kind Regards,

Gillian

Response from Janice McClymont, Occupational Therapy Head of Profession, Occupational Therapy Services, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear Josephine,

Thank you on behalf of the Occupational Therapy Service for your positive comments about your recent experience with the Rheumatology OT team. I will ensure that Fiona and the team learn what a difference they have made to your personal journey.

I am delighted that Fiona has been able to assist you with your rehabilitation, and that you feel that you have been supported emotionally throughout your treatment programme. It is important to us that you were able to achieve your goals of remaining in work and increased independence with everyday activities.

I hope that you continue to make further progress.

With thanks