"Shocking at times"

About: William Harvey Hospital

I was bought in by ambulance where I was told a family member would be informed of my arrival to hospital. Sadly no one contacted my loved ones leaving them to worry unnecessarily. Whilst on the ward I was suppose to have pain killers at 1:30, I finally received them at 4:05, lateness and delayed medication was a regular occurrence. It seems if you are considered independent, which I was, then care is bare minimum and receiving anything you need or are prescribed happens 'if' or 'when' remembered. During my time At the WH there was an issue with my temperature and supposed to be monitored hourly, this never happened. Likewise on day 3 there was an issue with my blood pressure and erratic pulse, this was never looked into. The nurses discussed it in front of me as if I was not there and then decided to ignore it and not explain anything. One many stayed on the ward with his wife who had MS, the next day the lady needed one of those stomach injections like most other patients get. The nurse asked the man if he did injections as apart of his caring role for his wife, he said no, however the nurse gave the man verbal instructions and allowed him to administer the injection. The junior doctors were on the whole great, however one of the consultants I saw was terrible, she wanted a treatment plan that I was very uncomfortable with and despite verbally refusing I was told it has to happen and I would have to 'grit my teeth and get on with it'. No discussions or considerations of wither alternatives or how to make the procedure more settling for me. Another thing that I found was meals could be troublesome. The menu is brilliant, however I requested a meal minus the baked beans due to the fact the I can not eat a particular ingredient. When the meal came the catering staff hand forgotten, then last minute remember. They scrapped all beans off, however left the plate dirty from the sauce and still some beans mixed up with the paper part. Also, if you are off the ward during meal times for scans or tests then nothing is kept for you, nor are you offered even a sandwich or slice of toast, as such you miss a meal. Sadly I am due surgery for another matter, this is later than the 18 weeks waiting list promised (told on 5th August). where I will have to go back into the WH. Whilst no one looks forward to hospital visits I worry about the hospital care more than the surgical procedure.

Thank you for your feedback and I am sorry to see that you were unhappy about the care we provided. I note that you are due to come back to WHH for surgery. I would like the opportunity to learn more about your experience and also to put you in touch with our surgical matron so that you can talk to her ahead of your planned admission. There is a great deal we can do to put your mind at ease.

My email address is Julie.pearce1@nhs.net. Please do make contact.