"I felt like a nuisance"

About: Glasgow Royal Infirmary / General Surgery

I was told to go to the nurses' reception desk to get booked in for a blood test.

The two members of staff behind the desk were mumbling to each other about how they didn't think I would get my blood taken today and said they dind't want to ask me, and that they know what I'm like when they have to take blood this time.

Another member of staff came over and she mumbled to the other two members of staff and then walked away from the desk and shouted that I was to hurry up and they wouldn't be able to take my blood if I didn't walk quickly.

I would have rather been booked back in to get blood taken if I knew that was the service that I was going to get. I also didn't like how everyone kept talking about me but not to my face or telling me what was actually happening.

Dear Violet89,

Appreciate you taking the time to get in touch - I can completely understand how you must have felt in this situation and for that I am sorry. You are right to expect that you would be talked to directly by members of staff and kept informed of what was happening - we would expect all of our patients to feel that they are treated politely and with respect, and would never want a patient to feel like they were a nuisance. I am glad that you took the time to highlight this and will pass your comments on to the relevant service so that this can be addressed.

Best Wishes,