"Terrible A and E"

About: Barnet General Hospital

I came to the hospital A and E department to find awful treatment. My lip was bleeding and in a lot of pain, yet no nurses came to offer me help. I was offered no water, the food service consisted of a vending machine selling crisps etc and a train style trolley with very unhealthy looking food, and I had to wait for a long long time, more than 3 hours, before help. Whilst having my assessment, several nurses/doctors rudely entered the room, which, by the way, was only cut off from the rest of the A and E department with a flimsy curtain, and interrupted me I was explaining to the doctor what had happened. I had to wait in pain for stitches to my lip. When I finally was permitted treatment, another nurse rudely entered the room while the doctor was explaining the procedure to me. I was clearly nervous for the treatment and needed relaxing, so I did not appreciate the interruption. The doctor who did my stitches was very nice and informative, though. I did not find the department to be clean. It was unhygienic. Overall I had an awful time.

Response from Barnet General Hospital

Very sorry to hear this. If you would like to help us improve please contact our patient advice and liaison service - bcfpals@nhs.net.