"Visiting A and E for a dressing change"

About: East Surrey Hospital

I had surgery for the removal of a soft tissue sarcoma on 9th Sept 2014, shortly afterwards the wound got infected. I was told I needed to see a tissue viability nurse but was being treated by the local district nurse at our surgery as there was a high demand in appointments for this specialist nurse. I felt that the local district nurse was not experienced sufficiently to deal with this wound so my daughter insisted we visit A and E as we were both quite scared of the angriness of this painful wound. We met with two nurses and wow! the treatment we received from these two nurses was amazing! They spent a long time with us; extensively cleaning the wound, thoroughly removing slough, covering with a new soft comfortable dressing and taking blood in order to issue appropriate antibiotics. They were compassionate, competent and so kind and cheerful. They allayed our fears as we were really despairing of ever having proper treatment before the infection got too bad. I continue to sing their praises to family and friends and cannot thank them enough for their absolutely brilliant care.

Response from Tasha Gardner, Communications Manager, Marketing and Communications, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Alison

kind regards

Tasha

Response from East Surrey Hospital

Dear Alison We are very proud of our A&E team and I know they will be really pleased to hear they gave you the treatment and reassurance you needed at what must have been a worrying time. I will make sure your kind words are passed on to them and hope you have made a speedy recovery. kind regards Tasha Gardner, Communications Manager