"Leg fracture at Crosshouse Hospital"

About: Crosshouse Hospital Crosshouse Hospital / Trauma & orthopaedics

I arrived at Crosshouse Hospital 2 weeks ago by ambulance after an injury at school. There was no sign of a brake/fracture. The paramedic wheeled me in a wheelchair to the pediatric ward and I was forced to walk on it. They asked me to rate the pain on a scale from 1-10 1-being a minor and 10- being a major I rated it about 7-8. The nurse's facial expression showed that she didn't believe me. I was forced to walk again and was moaning in pain. I wasn't given anything to calm the pain. I was sent to x-ray to get a few x-rays. I was wheeled back round to pedriatrics and it was a 5-10 minute wait until we were told it was a fracture. The nurses facial expression dropped when she heard it was fractured. I was right all along, but it goes to show they don't believe you if there are no signs.

Dear Kero1400,

As a school age person, your bones are ‘softer’ than adults because they are still growing and this can make it more difficult to establish a fracture without x-ray. That aside, I am sorry you had to walk on your broken ankle and also perhaps felt you had not been heard. I do believe we often know when we have broken something, despite it not being too obvious.

I will pass this to the management to share with the staff as a reminder to us all to be vigilant when ‘clinically’ things do not seem likely to be fractured.

I hope this does not interfere with your festive celebrations and heels quickly to see you back on both feet.

Have a lovely Christmas,

Best wishes

(p.s. you won't miss much school breaking your ankle at his time of year - bad planning!!