"A question could've avoided this situation"

About: Hairmyres Hospital / General Surgery

I received a letter on in early December for a vascular appointment in mid December. This letter stated that if I was on the contraceptive pill that this medication should be stopped 4-6 wks prior to surgery otherwise the procedure cannot go ahead!

This is a question I was NOT asked at my consultation therefore I have had to cancel my appointment. A simple question at consultation could have avoided this situation and delay in my treatment which will now go out with the 12 wk timeframe. I am very disappointed.

However the secretary I spoke with on the phone was good.

Dear Mandy Smith

Thank you for letting us know about this and I am very sorry indeed about the need to cancel your scheduled procedure due to this issue.

This is clearly a fault in our procedures and I have asked our Surgical Directorate Team to review this urgently so that it does not occur in the future.

This is not something that has been highlighted to us before and this will clearly make a big difference in the future - so thank you for that.

I have also asked the team to identify the likely timescale that you will be called for surgery and they will be in contact with you directly on this.

Please accept my apologies once again.

Regards

Response from Michelle Nobes, Patient Affairs Manager, Hairmyres Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire We have made a change

Dear Mandy Smith

Please accept my apologies for the delay in updating you regarding the actions taken following your comment above.

I can confirm that the Service Manager has highlighted your comment to clinical staff within the vascular service so that all future assessments will include all relevant information and will prevent this from happening again.

Once again my apologies for the delay in updating this post.