"Procedures during Mirena Coil insert"

About: New Victoria Hospital / Gynaecology

During Mirena Coil insertion -

The Speculum did not lock, meaning that doctor needed a staff member to hold this open. This appeared to cause difficulties throughout as both negotiated who would hold speculum open, open lids of jars and packets of sterile instruments.

Unfortunately the staff member seemed unsure of the procedure and needed coached throughout.

This staff member had to leave the room because there were no scissors there to cut the threads of the coil, she left still wearing her blue gloves and returned wearing them, which I felt uncomfortable with.

The doctor asked the staff member for swabs and she was unsure what was being asked for.

Dear RJF,

Thank you for taking the time to get in touch with me to highlight your experience during your procedure at the New Victoria Hospital. It is very important to us that our patients can give us feedback, both good and bad.

I have already passed your comments on to the Head of this Service, but I would like to look further into this situation, and so it would be a great help to me if you could contact me directly on lorna.gray@ggc.scot.nhs.uk.

I hope to hear from you soon,

With best wishes,

Lorna

Dear RJF,

Thank you for getting in touch with me. I was able to pass your information on to the Clinical Services Manager for the Clinic you attended who was able to look into the issues you highlighted and wanted to provide you with the following information:

Dear RJF,

Thank you for providing me with more details to let me look into your case further. On speaking with staff, I understand that the regular staff member was off on the day you attended this clinic and other staff were unfortunately unfamiliar with the clinic and procedures.

I have spoken with the staff who felt that there were no particular difficulties with the procedure, but less familiar staff did have to be talked through what was needed.

We have reminded all staff concerned of the importance of adhering to the infection control policy which includes ensure they are aware of the policy and have further updated training if required.

We would wish to offer you our sincere apologies that the care provided fell below acceptable standards and regret any distress this caused you.

We are grateful to you for taking the time to highlight these issues and will ensure measures are put in place to ensure they do not happen again.

Katie McEwan,