"Lack of response about results of tests/investigations"

About: Western Isles Hospital / General Surgery

I was referred to a doctor after a routine blood test showed a raised "tumour marker" I was told. I was advised to have further investigations I. e. a ct scan or other tests. When I explained I didn't really want any "intrusive" tests unless absolutely necessary, the doctor advised a repeat blood test and depending on whether the results remained negative, perhaps a ct scan. I was advised that I would be written to about the outcome.

The next I heard was not a letter explaining the results but a letter and a pack requesting me to attend for a GI endoscopy and colonoscopy. I contacted the the hospital and told them I would not be attending for the tests until I had spoken to the doctor in the clinic. They duly agreed and I received an appointment.

When I saw the doctor, it was explained that the blood results had risen slightly and I should go ahead with the tests to rule out any major future problems. Reluctantly I agreed if only to reduce some anxiety/stress that family had expressed.

I went to the Western Isles Hospital in September 14 and had a GI endoscopy and colonoscopy. The doctor saw me in Recovery and I think stated there were no problems and that I would be seen in Clinic. However on my return to the Day Surgery Unit and waiting to go home, I was told by the nurse that the doctoor wanted me to have a ct scan as well. I had to wait another 3 hrs for this.

Since then I have had no communication from the hospital.

Am I a fit and healthy 61 yr old or am I at Deaths' Door? ? ? Does anyone know or care?

Response from Patient Advice and Support Service

Dear Lanny1952,

I have noticed that you have not had a response to this post yet and wanted to offer you some information to help you if you have still not had any communication regarding your treatment. The Patient Advice and Support Service (PASS) is an independent service providing free, accessible and confidential information, advice and support to patients, their carers and families about NHS healthcare in Scotland.

The service is run by Citizens Advice Scotland and you can access this service from any citizens advice bureau in Scotland (go to http://www.cas.org.uk/bureaux to find your local CAB) either by attending a bureau in person or completing the contact form at www.patientadvicescotland.org.uk

We have dedicated, professional Patient Advisers that cover every health board area in Scotland and who will give advice on health related issues including the rights and responsibilities of both the NHS and the patient.

Hope this helps

Patient Advice and Support Service

Response from Maggie Fraser, Communications Manager, NHS Western Isles

I do sincerely apologise for the late response to this posting, and regret that you have experienced problems in relation to your experience.

If you are able to provide contact details directly to me, I can ensure this matter is looked into as a matter of priority.

Maggie Fraser