"No record of my appointment in spite of my appointment letter"

About: Forth Valley Royal Hospital

Appointment made and confirmed 29. 11. 14 at 1100. Arrived at the main reception desk at 1030, and asked for a Porter as I have serious mobility issues. I asked on 3 occasions where the porter was. At 1100 I was angry that I had waited 30 minutes and it was now time for my MRI. I asked the person at the desk to call XRay and make sure they'd still see me, to be told that they had no record of my appointment. I went to my car to confirm with the letter my appointment was correct, it was! I then called the hospital to speak to XRay, no one answered. I left! ! !

Response from Patient Advice and Support Service

Dear Bigstoop,

I have noticed that you have not had a response to this yet and wanted to offer you some information should you wish to follow up further on some of the issues you experienced regarding your wait on a porter and the miscommunication regarding your appointment. The Patient Advice and Support Service (PASS) is an independent service providing free, accessible and confidential information, advice and support to patients, their carers and families about NHS healthcare in Scotland.

The service is run by Citizens Advice Scotland and you can access this service from any citizens advice bureau in Scotland (go to http://www.cas.org.uk/bureaux to find your local CAB) either by attending a bureau in person or completing the contact form at www.patientadvicescotland.org.uk

We have dedicated, professional Patient Advisers that cover every health board area in Scotland and who will give advice on health related issues including the rights and responsibilities of both the NHS and the patient.

Hope this helps

Patient Advice & Support Service

Response from Arlian Mallis, Person Centred Health and Care Co-ordinator, Department of Nursing, NHS Forth Valley

Hi Im so sorry that this was your experience of care and that you left the hospital without having your MRI. We do offer support from portering services which we should be advising might take between 20 - 30 mins. In relation to x ray having no record of you appointment, I think this is something we need to follow up. I would be gratefull if you could contact me directly if you would like further assistance and perhaps we can identify what went wrong with the appointment system.

many thanks