"OT helping me regain movement in my wrist"

About: Monklands District General Hospital

I had an operation on my wrist May 2013. After my operation they diagnosed 'Complex Regional Pain Syndrome'. I was referred to occupational therapist where I was appointed someone who specialised in hand therapy.

I have been attending Monklands Hospital for a year and treatment is still on going. From the beginning of my sessions I had very little movement in my wrist and it had a detrimental affect on my health both mentally and physically.

Mandy the occupational therapist has been very supportive not only helping me regain movement in my wrist but with my self esteem and advising me with regard to other health care professionals that may assist with my recovery and advice. Mandy through this process has shown professionalism and empathy.

I believe my life is getting back on track now and I feel a bit more optimistic.

When trying to express my gratitude for all the help that Mandy and her fellow colleagues have shown Thanks does not seem an adequate word to use.

Response from Ruth Thompson, Chief of Nursing Services, Monklands Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear Gym Girl

Thank you for taking the time to post your experience of a long and ongoing treatment journey here at Monklands. Having had your surgery almost 18months ago I'm sure you have had some difficult challenges and I am glad to see you are now reaping the benefits of your Occupational Hand Therapy and are regaining movement in your wrist.

I will certainly pass on your kind comments to Mandy, who I am sure will be delighted to know that her expert knowledge, professionalism and empathy have helped you through such a difficult time.

I hope you continue to regain movement in your wrist and remain optimistic about your future.

Ruth

• Gym girl thinks this response is helpful

Response from Janice McClymont, Occupational Therapy Head of Profession, Occupational Therapy Services, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear Gym Girl,

I have passed your feedback onto Mandy and the specialist hand injury Occupational Therapy team at Monklands. They are delighted to receive your positive comments, and I would like to thank you personally for taking the time to describe the impact that occupational therapy has made to your personal progress over the last year.

Chronic regional pain syndrome can aften have far reaching effects on a person's life, and I am pleased that you feel that you have made positive progress, both emotionally and physically, as a result of your therapy. I'm glad that you are gaining increased independence, and that you feel more optimistic about the future. Your story will not only help me to develop occupational therapy services, but it will inspire others who find themselves in a similar situation.

Janice