"Nurse argued with my daughter"

About: Knowsley NHS Walk-in Centre, Huyton

(as a parent/guardian),

My daughter (who is 22), is a Nursery Supervisor. She 'phoned me last week asking for some advice. She had been feeling slightly under the weather and had discovered two patches of red blister spots around her stomach and back. I suggested that it sounded like chicken pox or possibly even shingles. (My daughter had unfortunately suffered a severe bout of shingles age 4 and has some scarring on her lower back caused by this virus.)

My daughter visited the aforementioned Walk-In, where she was seen by a Nurse at around 6pm. She discussed her symptoms with the Nurse, and explained that she had contracted shingles as a child. Rather than listening to my daughter the Nurse began disagreeing with her, saying she didn't have shingles and it must have been chicken pox, as children don't get shingles...

The nurse in question also argued about the validity of a statement made by my daughter regarding an allergy to an antibiotic.

Another Nurse did attend and my daughter felt that she actually listened and was much more helpful.

I am extremely angry at this treatment of a young woman, who was seeking advice and reassurance from 'medical practitioners' in order for her to decide whether she was able to attend work. The nature of my daughters role involves close contact with babies and children and two of her colleagues are pregnant.

Is it too much to expect that trained individuals, be able to undertake their duties professionally without resorting to what I felt were 'bullying' techniques?

Response from Katherine Earlam, PALS Officer, 5 Boroughs Partnership NHS Trust

Thank you so much for taking the time to let us know about your concerns with the walk in centre, I will ensure that your concerns are passed onto the manager of the team. please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further help or advice on the PALS line: 01925 664450/664014

Response from Katherine Earlam, PALS Officer, 5 Boroughs Partnership NHS Trust

Hello can I please start with an apology, I am sorry that your experience of our service was not a good one and I thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Could you please call me so that we can investigate this matter further and discuss your concerns with the nurse practitioner involved in your daughters care?

Regards