"Investigating possible hernia "

About: Western Infirmary/Gartnavel General / General Medicine

I was refered to the clinic at Gartnavel hospital Glasgow, after a visit to GP with a suspected Hernia.

I attended at the clinic in Nov 2014, booked in with reception team, wasn't informed that I wouldn't see the consultant until after the consultation.

I was called into a room by a nurse helped to sit down as I have crutches, a Doctor entered the room shortly after the nurse left introduced himself, still no explanation as to why I was seeing him and not the consultant, I was asked to get on a examination table with assistance whilst he asked me about previous health problems.

He left room to get a nurse, because he needed to examine my stomach, where suspected hernia is. The nurse came in, helped my pull my trousers down top up, held my hand as during examination as it was very painful and distressing. The consultation went like this " is it sore here?" Yes

Here? Yes crying whole time.....he says need to send you for CT scan, it's not a hernia, or a fat cluster.

Leaves me & nurse to get me redressed, when curtain was opened Doctor was gone, no conversation about follow up, CT scan, this was answered by nurse when I asked what happened now, she said they will send you a date time for CT Scan, go to reception to book a return date, which is in Jan 2015.

I felt like a piece of meat, certainly didn't feel like it was a consultation with a Doctor. I felt a pet would have been shown more care & compassion with the registrar.

Dear SCOTTISH mesh survivor 1,

I am very sorry to hear that this was your experience when you visited this clinic - I understand that it is a scary time when in hospital, particularly if you are in a lot of pain and I am glad to hear that the nurse held your hand and tried to provide some reassurance to you during the examination.

I am sorry however that the Doctor you saw did not make himself available for you to ask any further questions you may have had after your examination but glad that the nurse who was with you was able to answer these questions for you. If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to contact the clinic who I'm sure will be happy to get you any information you need.

I will pass on your comments to the service at Gartnavel to look into the communication issues you have highlighted, particularly around the information provided by Doctors after an examination has taken place and where further investigations may be required. We appreciate all feedback that is sent to us to help us to continually improve our services for our patients, so thank you for taking the time to tell me of your experience.

With best wishes,