"Getting a form signed"

About: NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde

I am a healthy middle aged male who enjoys fitness and sport.

I wanted a medical form signed at short notice (it was a duplicate of one already in existence but too far away to be immediately to hand).

When I asked the GP practice to get the form signed the doctor refused saying to begin with that I need a specialist doctor. When I pointed out that the form stated specifically that no specialisation was required she said that she did not have time to sign forms at such short notice.

What we have here I think is a doctor, being paid I imagine around £80, 000 per annum, who needs notice to sign a form!

Does anybody else think it about time GP's took a fleeting visit to the real world?

Dear skysurfer,

I'm sorry you've had these difficulties with your GP practice - I can understand how frustrated you must feel given that this is a seemingly simple request.

Unfortunately, I am unable to comment on how individual GP practices manage such requests as each will have their own approach to how they run their practice. I would suggest however that you pass on your comments to the Practice Manager if you haven't already done so and they will be able to address your concerns directly.

Kind Regards,

Lorna

Update posted by skysurfer (the patient)

Hi Lorna,

I did speak to the practice manager, unfortunately the response was fairly intransigent.

The truth I suppose is that I should have done my forward planning a little better.

Nonetheless the GP involved knew very well that without the signature my weekend plans were trashed. The GP also knew that to give the signature was perfectly reasonable because I had visited about 10 days previously and we'd discussed the sport I partake in and my fitness for it.

General practitioners simply have to be more flexible. It's no use telling people to take exercise and play sport on the one hand and deliberately putting up barriers on the other.