"Great care from start to finish"

About: Royal Alexandra Hospital / General Surgery Scottish Ambulance Service

I went to see my GP with chest pain recently and before I knew it I was being visited by a paramedic in an ambulance car and then being taken in an ambulance to the Royal Alexandra Hospital in Paisley. I sailed through A&E into the Medical Assessment Unit where I fell unconscious twice and then I spent the night in the Medical Receiving Ward.

From the GP to the paramedic to the ambulance staff to the hospital staff I was treated with kindness, understanding, speed and purpose. Under intense pressure of volume coming through the doors the nurses and doctors were attentive, responsive and ensured I had the best treatment at all times. I was kept well fed and watered and when I had blood on my hospital gown it was quickly changed for a new one. The food was excellent and varied and all the while the whole area was being meticulously cleaned from top to bottom.

A great example of how everybody in every discipline can work together as a team to ensure excellent patient care. I told the staff how impressed I was at the time but feel it is important to state publicly how good the care was. Thank you to the GP, Scottish Ambulance Service, Royal Alexandra Hospital and NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde for keeping up my faith in the NHS.

Dear Thankful1974,

Thank you so much for your detailed account of your experience at the Royal Alexandra Hospital - I am so pleased that you took the time to recognise the work of all of the members of staff who were involved in your care. I will ensure that our staff in the Emergency Department, Medical Receiving Areas, and Facilities see your comments as I am sure they will be delighted that you have made the effort to get in touch.

I wish you all the best in your future recovery,

Kind Regards,

Response from Claire Smillie, Communications Manager, Scottish Ambulance Service

Dear Thankful1974,

Thank you very much for taking the time to contact us via patient opinion - we always love to hear from our patients. Our staff will be pleased to hear that you have recognised their true care and attention. I will be sure to pass this onto the Corporate Affairs team and our operational staff.

Best Wishes,