"MRI scan for gall bladder area at Heartlands"

About: Heartlands Hospital / General surgery

I was delighted to receive an appointment by phone for the next day ( I assume there had been a cancellation). The staff carrying out the scan were friendly and pleasant, and the area was very clean.

The reason I am telling this story is that I think there is a very simple improvement that could have been made to my experience. Having an MRI in a that closed in space is quite scary, and I did know that would be the case. What really would have made the experience better was if I had been given more information and reassurance during the actual scan process - for example "You're doing well - we're halfway through now" and "We need you to do about six breath holds for up to 15 seconds and we'll tell you when we need that" and " Only about five more minutes no, are you OK".

Also I had to ask for the radio station to be changed as it was a horrible pop station - just to be offered that choice rather than me have to ask - all small things I know, but it really makes a difference when you are a bit nervous and not sure what's going on. I was given instructions as I went along but it's nice to know where you are in the process.

Dear SuziQ

Thank you very much for your positive feedback regarding your MRI scan at Heartlands Hospital. Patient Feedback is extremely important to us.

I will ensure that our Superintendent Radiographer is made aware of the points you have raised which would have improved your experience even more.

I hope this is acceptable and please contact The Patient Services Team on 0121 424 0808 if we can be of any other assistance.

Kind Regards

Marie Helebert

• SuziQ thinks this response is helpful