"My recent experience of stay in Tilgate Ward, Bay..."

About: East Surrey Hospital

I have nothing but a great deal of gratitude for the very high level of friendliness, respect, and professionalism demonstrated by the staff throughout my stay. In a bay of 6 people, I was the only one capable of getting out of bed unaided,and dealing with my own personal needs. Of the other 5 only one was capable of feeding themselves. So, I was in position to be able to observe the daily activities, night and day. I was so impressed with how each patient was treated, even the more difficult ones and there were a few, with a great level of professionalism and patience. The staff worked well as a team, supporting each other when required. During their 12 hour shifts,the staff worked none stop and with the same level of dedication,often under a great deal of pressure, particularly during the night shift. I was also impressed with high level of cleaniness and hygiene that I observed. The food has improved greatly since my last stay, some 18 months ago, which has moved from editable to enjoyable. This too was served up with a smile. Lastly, I think that those politicians that complain about the NHS should spend a day or two in a hospital bed. Then they would observe the real NHS in action. My congratulations and thanks to the staff of Tilgate Ward, particularly Bay C.

Response from Tasha Gardner, Communications Manager, Marketing and Communications, Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust

Dear Tom

kind regards

Tasha

Dear Tom McGahan,

Many thanks for your kind words about your recent stay in Tilgate Ward. It is very nice to read words like friendliness, respect, and professionalism and that you saw our staff working so well together in delivering excellent patient care. These elements are so important and it is very reassuring to read that they were so evident when you were on the ward.

It is also good to read that you found the food to be enjoyable and that the ward was clean at all times. These are also important in ensuring that our patients receive excellent care.

Your comments have been passed to the team who I will know will be pleased to read such kind words.

Ian

Response from East Surrey Hospital

Dear Tom Many thanks for your detailed feedback about your recent experience on Tilgate ward. We are very proud of the team there, who as you said, are very dedicated, professional and patient. It is always lovely to hear when we are getting it right and I will make sure you comments are passed on to them as well as our hard working catering and domestic staff. kind regards Tasha Gardner, Communications Manager Surrey and Sussex Healthcare NHS Trust