"Closure of beds at the QMC"

About: Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Foundation Trust / Child and Adolescent Mental Health Services – Inpatient

(as a staff member posting for a carer/relative),

I am a carer. My wife has mentioned how pleased we were with the help and support we were given.

The area for concern that we have is support for the clients who have been institutionlised is inadequate and with the closure of the beds at the QMC will become a major problem.

Response from Jo Horsley, Adult Mental Health Service Manager - Acute services, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust

Thank you for taking the time to post your concerns as I'm sure there are many other people who are worried about the changes in services and confused about what alternative provision we are developing.

It's good to hear you were pleased with the care and support your wife received, patient and carer satisfaction is very important to us. We are closing the acute wards at QMC as the environment is not suitable to care for people with mental health issues. We have reviewed all services across AMH and following consultation and public engagement we are reinvesting monies to open 24hr enhanced crisis services, and a crisis house which will provide an alternative to admission to hospital.

Of course any change is challenging and requires a lot of thought, discussion and good planning to get it right. We have lots of meetings and forums to discuss and plan the changes and you would be most welcome to join us to share your concerns and thoughts in more detail. We have also received investment to develop our other community services and they will be most able to support people who have been in services for many years.

If you would like to get involved in our developments please email me at jobull450@hotmail.com or contact me on 0115 9691300 ext 14112

kind Regards