"Medical Centre prescription problem"

About: NHS Greater Glasgow & Clyde

I recently went into hospital to have an abscess on my leg treated. When I was discharged I was given a letter from the hospital with all the details of my pain relief and after care I would need.

I took these to my GP surgery but was not able to be seen straightaway.

However a doctor called me and said they would give me a prescription but, instead of that the doctor cancelled all of my prescriptions.

The receptionists won’t give me an appointment to see a doctor unless I tell them what its for but they should know what it’s for because I’ve given them the discharge letter.

I don’t think I should have to divulge personal details when I’ve grown up with half these people.

The doctor who cancelled my prescription is not one I’ve ever seen and only spoke to the doctor on the phone when the doctor called me. Other than that I’ve not even heard of this doctor. I don’t understand how a doctor I’ve never met and only spoken to can stop my prescriptions – This doctor does not know me at all.

I’ve asked if my usual doctor can phone me – the receptionist just says ‘If the doctor phones you the doctor does, if the doctor doesn't there’s nothing I can do about it! ’

I’ve been without pain relief for 7 days and cannot get an appointment for another 3 weeks.

Dear Lively490,

I am really sorry to hear about the trouble you have had getting your prescription after discharge from hospital, as well as the communication problems you have had with your GP surgery.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't be able to comment on individual GP practices and how they manage prescriptions or appointments, but if you would like to contact me directly on lorna.gray@ggc.scot.nhs.uk with more details, I can pass on your comments to the relevant practice.

With best wishes,