"Staff were not taking time to care"

About: Glasgow Royal Infirmary / General Surgery

I was a visitor to Glasgow royal infirmary. I must have been there 1.30 pm till 4.40 pm.

I was not very pleased with the medical staff response I saw in dealing with incidents that arose. I saw one old woman fell, she her rang emergency bell but after 20 mins no staff had come. It looked like she hurt herself, but when family came I did not see that staff update them on this.

One other lady wanted assistance to the toilet and her family were angry as no one was assisting them. The nurses seemed to speak very rudely. It does not cost anything for manners. One of the family said that her mother was in pain. However, the nurse said she thought they would certainly know if this was the case, and that they were being over protective. From what I could see, the women did appear to be in pain.

I was concerned I was leaving my loved one in the care of what seemed to be such a terribly organised ward. The staff I saw were not helpful when the woman fell and hurt herself and the other woman not getting helped to toilet. I think they should bring back matrons on wards, then there would be none of this conduct. I would not recommend this shocking ward.

Dear lazy boy,

I am very concerned to read of your account of your experience at the Glasgow Royal Infirmary. NHSGGC is committed to learning from all experiences of poor care, however to do so it is really important that we have as much detail as possible in order to take this forward.

I would therefore ask you to provide me with some more information, particularly when this happened and the ward which you refer to so that I can look into this further. You can do that either through this site, or if you would feel more comfortable, by contacting me directly on lorna.gray@ggc.scot.nhs.uk

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best Wishes,