"Lack of help for a mentally ill relative"

About: Hairmyres Hospital / Emergency department Hairmyres Hospital / General Psychiatry

As a relative I am able to say that on some occasions A&E staff work incredibly hard - for example, when the team worked to save the life of a nephew. I will always be grateful.

However another relative was advised by the police to go to Hairmyres Hospital recently because it was obvious that she is mentally ill. The police phoned the hospital to say she was on her way and when she arrived she was told there was no-one available to see her as it was a Sunday. A member of staff told her to go home and enjoy the sunshine.

Since then this relative has been seen by an emergency person at home, and by a CPN, but still no proper help is being given to a very ill woman.

I cannot understand this lack of help.

Response from Rosemary Lyness, Executive Clinical Director, NHS Lanarkshire

Dear Cho,

Thank you for telling us about your experience, I am sorry to hear that it was a negative one.

NHS Lanarkshire joined Patient Opinion in May 2013 and we have been responding to submissions since then.

I would like to acknowledge your submission which was posted before we became a member. I would be happy to hear from you again through Patient Opinion or you can go to the “Contact Us” section of the NHS Lanarkshire website to see the other ways to get in touch www.nhslanarkshire.org.uk

I hope any subsequent experiences with NHS Lanarkshire have been more positive.