"Nurse attitude towards my dad with dementia"

About: Glasgow Royal Infirmary

I visited my dad, in Glasgow royal I had never been to this hospital before,

I went to afternoon visit, and my dad was very anxious, he has dementia. he was very verbal he stated he was hungry and did not like the ward he was in, I took this as he was in a strange environment so I did not pay much attention.

went back to evening visit, and I was walking in my dads bed was not far from main door the nurse rudely stated to my dad there is more than you in the ward, I heard him saying I want a drink water. no she said. my arm is sore.

I am busy she said. I approached the bed at this point and I stated politely he is complaining of pain in his arm it was open visit I was told at 6. 30 I will get him pain relief.

8. 30 I was still voicing my concerns I don't like this hospital I was prepared to give them the benefit as he has dementia and can be demanding, but he was clearely in pain with his arm. I was told my g. p he was de hydrated

Dear mcmillan,

I am very concerned to read of your account of your experience at the Glasgow Royal Infirmary. NHSGGC is committed to learning from all experiences of poor care, however to do so it is really important that we have as much detail as possible in order to take this forward.

I would therefore ask you to provide me with some more information, particularly when this happened and the ward which your father is being treated on, so that I can look into this further. You can do that either through this site, or if you would feel more comfortable, by contacting me directly on lorna.gray@ggc.scot.nhs.uk

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best Wishes,