"I waited a long time but staff were fantastic"

About: Bromley Healthcare / Contraception and reproductive health service

I arrived at Beckenham beacon at 4: 30 pm, I waited for 1 hr before I was seen by a nurse who took details from me to update the electronic system. That was for 14 mins. Then waited to be seen by the doctor for a removal of my IUS and a new one to be replaced.

The doctor proceeded to tell me, because I had a IUS inserted at 47 that I did not need to have a new one because it will last up to 7 yrs, no longer 5 for contraception which I was very pleased to hear. She then discussed and demonstrated on the website for FSRH to reassure me it is a fact and accepted by WHO.

The doctor had check of my IUS and all is fine. I left at 6: 35.

It was good, I waited a longtime despite they were not busy, but the staff were fantastic.

Response from Amanda Mayo, Head of Integrated Care - Bromley ICN, Operations Directorate, Bromley Healthcare

Thank you Lovely Lol for your posting this afternoon.

I am really pleased that our Contraceptive and Reproductive Health Service staff were fantastic but that you had a long wait in clinic and had differing advice from the nurse and the Doctor.

I am acutely aware of the complexity of some patient presentations to our services. This can cause our nurses and doctors to take a long time with each patient and for it to appear that the clinic is not busy; however we always try to address patients’ needs on the day and keep you informed of any delays. I am sorry if this did not happen in your case.

Having discussed your posting with the Service Lead, I would really appreciate it if you could send your name and date of birth to contact@bromleyhealthcare-cic.nhs.uk to allow us to look at your journey through the service to enable us to learn from your experience (please mention you have placed a posting on Patient Opinion)