"Concerns about how delays will effect my hearing"

About: Wishaw General Hospital / Ear, Nose & Throat

My problem is the time it takes to see a consultant. I am afraid that there might be permanent damage to my hearing as this problem is taking so long. I can no longer be in other peoples company as it is so embarrassing trying to hear what is being said.

Response from Graeme McGibbon, Service Manager for Surgical Services, Monklands Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire We are preparing to make a change

Dear John Joe,

I was sorry to hear of the delay you have experienced waiting to see an ENT consultant and the problems this has caused. I would reassure you that your initial referral for an appointment would have been assessed by the clinical team and appropriate action taken if there was risk of permanent damage.

I am aware that waiting times have generally increased for ENT clinics and to address this there are a number of changes underway. The ENT Department is currently recruiting an additional ENT consultant and I am hopeful that this process will be complete early in the New Year. In addition, I am working with the Audiology service to review the current process and links of hearing test appointments with ENT appointments to see if we can speed this up.

I fully appreciate that your hearing has become worse while waiting and the resulting difficulties you have to deal with on a day to day basis. I would be grateful for the opportunity to investigate further on your behalf. If you would like me to take this forward please contact me at Monklands Hospital Tel: 01236-712443

Response from Graeme McGibbon, Service Manager for Surgical Services, Monklands Hospital, NHS Lanarkshire We have made a change

Dear John Joe,

I am please to let you know that our new ENT consultant has now take up her post as of April 2015. The ENT department are also planning to recruit a further ENT consultant in August 2015.

The ENT and Audiology departments continue to work on service improvement some of this work has now been implemented.