"I had a stroke and so my first stay in hospital"

About: Heartlands Hospital / General medicine

I was behaving strangely whilst on holiday in Derbyshire so we rushed home to get help. The tunnels in Birmingham were closed and we ended up at Heartlands rather than our local, the QE. I was admitted to ward 20 and was regularly seen by Dr Sandler and his team. I had an OT assessment and the physio too. Later I saw the Speech and Language Therapist as well. The nursing and ward staff on ward 20 and then on Beech ward were thorough and good to me.

They also were caring towards other ill patients.

I am now going on the TARDIS research trial and I hope this will help others. My only complaint is that beech ward pillows were very flat and generally the food was not good. Overall this was a positive experience for my first in patient stay in hospital: hopefully my last. Thank you to everyone including X-Ray staff and those in MRI and Doppler.

Response from Matthew Cooke, Deputy Medical Director, Heart of England Foundation Trust We are preparing to make a change

Delighted to hear that you had such good care from Dr Sandler and the Stroke team. I will pass your message on to him.

This week we have the official opening of our new hyperacute stroke unit at Heartlands Hospital, so our facilities are improving even further. I hope you never need to use it and are now making a good recovery.

Many thanks for taking the time to send this feedback, it is great for staff to hear this.

• LizzieDripping thinks this response is helpful