"Outpatient fracture clinic"

About: Chorley & South Ribble Hospital

Seen in A&E where it would appear I have been walking around on a fractured fibula for 10 days. After being told by doctor not to walk on it was sent by a nurse (walking) out of cubicle to wait in waiting room. Was put in back slab plaster by a student nurse. The plaster was very thin and I was back in two days later as it had cracked. Put in another back slab and sent home. Told to phone fracture clinic if not received appt. didn't receive appt so telephoned to be told I would be seen in clinic 11 days after A&E attendance and this is classed as within the following week. Cast is loose and A&E staff only placing temporary cast on as foot/leg not positioned in order to splint. Standards have definitely slipped. Last year after broken ankle I was in A&E Sunday and in clinic that Wednesday. 0-1 week is up to seven days. 1-2 weeks is 8-14 days. British Orthapaedic Assoc Standards States that 72 hours is A&E to outpatient time.

Thank you for telling us of your experience. I'm sorry to hear of the difficulties you've experienced; can I ask you to please contact our PALS department on 01772 522972, who will be pleased to try to help to resolve your problems.

Response from Chorley & South Ribble Hospital

Thank you for providing feedback about the care and treatment we provide. Your comments have been noted and will be reviewed to identify opportunities for improvement and any actions that may be necessary.