"Dissapointing"

About: Trafford General Hospital

I have been attending the ENT Clinic at Trafford General/Altrincham Hospitals since I was 12 years old. I have typically had 6 month /12 month appointments. The clinic is always running late, even at 9am, so be prepared to wait (sometimes for up to 3 hours for a midday appointment). I was due to have a septoplasty last year however complications during pre-op meant this was delayed. After completing many more tests I then contacted the department for a routine check-up appointment as I was having trouble and this was overdue - this is now appx. 7 months since I last attended the clinic. I was very surprised - and extremely annoyed - to find out I had been discharged from the clinic, due to apparently "not attending within a 3 month period". This was obviously ridiculous - my appointments have always been longer than 3 month intervals. What is also unbelievable is that I had been discharged from all services - not just appointments relating to nasal problems, but I also no longer had appointments for my ears, or my hearing aids - which are NHS property. I was told I must be re-referred by my GP, which I did, and the waiting time for a standard appointment? 3 months! I am unsure if this was caused by a recent policy change, but anyone waiting on an appointment that is late should check they haven't been discharged from the clinic. I am still waiting to see the doctor, and hoping to get answers as to how this happened.

Response from Central Manchester University Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

We are very sorry to receive your comments and concerns via the NHS Choices / Patient Opinion website about your experiences on our ENT services. It is very difficult to respond to the specific concerns you have raised without being able to investigate in detail. We take all issues surrounding patient care very seriously and would very much like to hear from you directly about this. If you contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service on 0161 276 8686 or by e-mailing pals@cmft.nhs.uk they will be happy to discuss this with you.