"When I chase appointments they say they are busy"

About: Bromley Healthcare / Speech and Language Therapy for Children

(as a parent/guardian),

My story is basically about the less than adequate services my 3 year old son is receiving for his social communication difficulties. I have had to stop working to care for my son after it became apparent that he wasn't developing as he should be when he reached 18 months. He is now 3 years old and has only been seen twice by SLT. Every time I've tried to chase up appointments I've been told they are too busy, not enough staff and/or words to that effect.

I don't think it is good enough. Things have gone from bad to worse with my son. I keep hearing early intervention is key but he is not getting the help he so badly needs.

My husband and I have resorted to hiring an SLT privately. This is a huge financial strain on us but we feel we can't stand back and do nothing. This is a real problem and needs to be addressed as there may be other children not just my son being adversely affected by this and many parents like myself desperate for help for their children.

Response from Amanda Mayo, Head of Integrated Care - Bromley ICN, Operations Directorate, Bromley Healthcare

Thank you, Sers, for taking time to post your concerns on Patient Opinion.

I would be so grateful if we could investigate further the issues you have raised. In order for us to do this could you please email contact@bromleyhealthcare-cic.nhs.uk with your name, your son's name and his date of birth. I would be grateful if you could mention that you are forwarding your details following a posting on this site.

We will undertake a full investigation and respond to you formally.

Response from Jonathan Lewis, CEO, Bromley Healthcare

Hello

I am Jonathan Lewis - CEO of Bromley Healthcare. I am sorry to read this. On the whole our services are very good, but clearly you are not happy.

In the past, we have asked parents to come to our board to express concerns and we have made changes on the back of this. Amanda has offered you one way of getting in touch. If you would like to speak to me directly - my mobile is 07733 308089 / if you want to e mail me - my e mail is jonathan.lewis@bromleyhealthcare-cic.nhs.uk.

You are more than welcome to come and see me, or I can come and see you

Regards,

Jonathan

Update posted by sers (a parent/guardian)

Thank you for your responses. I will be in contact.

No doubt the staff are lovely, knowledgeable and competent at what they do however I have been told time and time again that they are 'behind on their workload' therefore something must be going wrong. This site was recommended to me by a SLT at my last appointment after expressing my concerns to her.