"Porchester Ward. Carer Feedback. More information Please"

About: Forensic mental health / Low secure services

(as a staff member posting for a carer/relative),

I would like to see my son with out an escort and when it is his birthday I would like to be able to see him outside the hospital for a meal.

He needs to be more active and more fit. What about getting him in the new garden?

I need to know what happens with his assessment. I would like more information about my son as they don't keep me informed. Less secrecy would be good. I like to be open.

I would be nice to keep me informed with a letter as it would make me feel better

I can sleep now that my son is here. Staff are very very good. My son has improved.

Why do staff change so much. What is the problem? It can make my son confused.

Response from Gregg Murray, Deputy Modern Matron, The Wells Road Centre, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust

I have discussed your visiting request with the Ward Manager of Porchester Ward who confirms that your request for a special outing for a birthday meal is something that can be considered by the clinical team and will be discussed in ward round before a descision can be made.

With regards to the use of 'secrecy'; all of our patients have family and friends contact plans which show the level of conatct and frequencey that a family member would like to recieve and that has been agreed with patient involvement. I have asked the Ward Manager to check on this in your case to ensure that a level of contract is agreed that you are happy with. As a service we do want to be honest and open with patients and carers and would discuss with you where we feel discretion is necessary.

There has been a large movement of staff recently because Trent ward closed for refurbishment from October 2013 and has recently reopened. Many of the staff from Trent have worked on Porchester ward as well as on other wards during this time and have now moved back to Trent ward. We have also recently recruited staff to fill vacancies which arose during this period. It is not expected that a large change of staff will happen in future which I hope you will find reassuring.

Thank you for your positive feedback in general about the Porchester team and the support for your son. I will also make sure that this is fedback to the team.