"Injections could be dealt with more calmly"

About: Talygarn Unit

(as a friend),

I witnessed a lot of violence on the ward between patients and nurses, particularly when injections were being administered. I appreciate if a patient is particularly distressed, an injection is no doubt required. I just feel that the event could be dealt with more calmly - in some instances the nurses seemed to really enjoy the confrontation more than was necessary or appropriate.

Response from Julian Hayman, Internal Communications Manager, Communications, Aneurin Bevan Health Board

Hello JJR,

Thank you for your feedback via the Patient Opinion website. I am concerned to hear that you witnessed a lot of violence on the ward in Talygarn Unit. Without further information, it is difficult to look into this matter. However, I have contacted the Divisional Director for Mental Health and Learning Disabilities, who will share these comments with the relevant Team.

If you would like to email me with further information about the matter raised, we can look into this further for you. My email address is Sharon.harford@wales.nhs.uk.

Alternatively, you can email your concern directly to our Putting Things Right team at Puttingthingsright.ABHB@wales.nhs.uk

Please include the following information in your email:

•your full name

•address

•telephone number

•the name and address of the patient (if you are emailing on behalf of someone else)

•and where necessary, the next of kin

I hope that this helps.

Regards,

Sharon Harford

Dear ‘JJR’

Further to my recent e-mail the Mental Health Divisional management team have had the opportunity to discuss the concerns you have raised. The issues you raise are concerning to the team and if you are willing, the Joint Lead Nurse for Adult Mental Health would like to talk to you to find out a little more about your concerns. It will then be possible for the team to think about how best to address your concerns. If you are willing to talk to us, I would be grateful if you could let us know how we can make contact with you, or if you would prefer to make contact with us. Please email me – Sharon.harford@wales.nhs.uk with your contact details.

Many thanks for considering this request.