"Smoking on hospital grounds"

About: Lister Hospital

Was extremely pleased with my treatment I had in the hospital Accident and Emergency However I am appalled that members of the public were blatantly disregarding the no smoking on hospital grounds signs. I sat having a coffee outside in the public area by the wooden statue. With plenty of notices carefully placed around the grass verge, I could not believe that members of the public were sat near the signs and totally disregarded the notices and were happy to sit there smoking. I guess what made this even worse, was the fact that some of the people in question were in patients themselves! Why oh why is something not being done to address this problem. Very disappointed indeed, that nothing is being done to address this blatant behaviour. I realize that the hospital has set aside an area for those people who wish to smoke, so why is something not being done to get those people to this area, and leave public areas clean and tidy.

Response from Lister Hospital

First of all, we're glad to see how highly your treatment when seen at the Lister's emergency department recently - that's good to hear. On the second matter, we share your concerns about smokers and try to persuade people to use the designated shelter on a daily basis. Whilst many do, others refuse or simply don't care. It is not a battle we will give up on though and will continue to challenge the behaviour of such individuals at every opportunity.