About: Bradford Royal Infirmary

I have now visited BRI on a number of occasions since moving to Bradford 2 years ago. I visited A&E twice, once for me, once for my partner, both times it was scruffy and dirty, with rubbish under the seats, awful. You are shouted for over a tannoy system which distorts your name and makes it hard to hear if it's you or not, you are told to go to triage, which is a little desk, but not being familiar with the hospital we didn't know this & it wasn't obvious! then you are sent back to sit down and later, shouted for over the tannoy, to go to room 2 - no-one in rm 2 so we had to ask if we were in the right place, 10 mins later someone came to see us! nurse checked details etc, then another wait before I saw the doctor who was rude, not sympathetic, then another wait before another different doctor checked my details for the prescription - then they brought the prescription (someone else!) who seemed stunned when I asked about paying for it! That whole process could have been streamlined by seeing one person who checked my details, dealt with the issue then gave me a prescription to get from the chemist - such a waste of resources. My other experience is with the Gynecology department - again strange outdated systems, you check in a reception, but then you have to go and sit in the waiting area and give the letter to the nurse, can you give it in at the desk? No! Why - no idea! So you sit and wait to give the letter in, then you sit and wait some more, have seen 4 different gynecologists now, the first 3 all kept trying to push the same treatments on me, didn't listen to my concerns why I didn't want it and didn't explain side effects etc or help me make an informed choice. When I pushed for an alternative, i was told I would have to see a specialist and this would be a new referral IN THE SAME DEPARTMENT! I have finally seen the specialist today - from seeing my GP in February! At last I have been listened to without being patronised or dismissed, I am happy that I finally got the treatment i needed but disappointed that it took so much fighting for.

Response from Bradford Royal Infirmary

Thank you for your comments, it is very disappointing that you have had a poor experience at our hospital. If you would like us to investigate this further please contact PALS@bthft.nhs.uk or telephone 01274 364810. A member of the team will be happy to support you if you want to make a formal complaint. Thank you.