"Patient's overall welfare needs to be cared for as well."

About: QMC mental health inpatient services

I have a close relative who is an inpatient at the QMC and who has had many admissions to Hospital and has been sectioned each time. It gets more and more heartbreaking.

In my opinion basic care on the ward is not there. It's just simple things like their bed has not been made for days so they are sleeping on a bare mattress. There's no encouragement to get up and showered. They are able to stay in bed all day and night, sleeping with the same clothes on for 2 weeks.

When I have rung or gone into visit and complained, still nothing changes. There are no activities that would inspire you to get up: no OT, no fitness facilities, no talking therapies, no library to stimulate your mind. I have asked about this but they said the ward is closing so all these facilities are not available.

My relative has been in there since April. It is just so unfair. I feel they are not getting the best treatment. Just sorting medication is not enough. Patient's overall welfare needs to be cared for as well.

I've been in touch with PALs and I've been asking continuously about an injected form of medicine. Once they are out in the community, they'll stop taking their oral medicine as has happened on every previous occasion. They need insight and support around this. It's 5 years down the line and we are no further forward.

I was so very sorry to read your story and I want to thank you for taking the time to tell us your story. This is, as you say heartbreaking for you as a relative to witness and not acceptable at all for the patient.

As you have tried on previous occasions to get things changed I want to let you know that I have forwarded this to PALS plus operational and general managers for a fuller response.

Your feedback is very important to us as we make changes based on listening to what people say about our services.

I hope that you, your relative and others will benefit from sharing this story on Patient Opinion.

Please look out for a further reply soon.

Jane

• postive thinks this response is helpful

Response from Jo Horsley, Adult Mental Health Service Manager - Acute services, Nottinghamshire Healthcare NHS Trust

Many thanks for your post, as operational manger of the QMC wards you can imagine I was very sad and concerned after reading your heartfelt story. I would really like to talk to you to get a better understanding of your concerns and explore what I can do to address the issues you have raised. If you think meeting me would help please call 0115 9691300 ext 141112 and my secretary Janet will prioritise an appointment. Alternatively we could talk over the phone or you could email me at jo.horsley@nottshc.nhs.uk. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind Regards

Jo

• postive thinks this response is helpful

Update posted by postive (a relative)

Thanks I will be intouch ASAP

After this posting was published I received a letter from the family member who posted the story. I was given permission to publish part of the letter. This is what was said.

'’Patient Opinion is a lifeline, it is there when you don’t know where to turn next for help. When you think no-one is listening to you or your concerns, we are actually listened to, not just heard. Patient Opinion was instrumental in affecting change in the care of my close relative. Our concerns were handled with care, understanding and promptly. We wouldn’t hesitate to recommend Patient Opinion again. It enables you to be a partner in the care of someone rather than being on the sidelines

It is an effective tool for making a difference and for giving both positive and negative feedback."